Content marketing is king when it comes to effective marketing.
Content marketing works to engage with prospects and grow your business. Attracting new customers through content marketing should be a priority for your construction business, even while you’re busy with current work. With a steady stream of projects scheduled into the future, your business finances will remain healthy, and you’ll have opportunities to expand over time.
In today’s digital world, content marketing is the best way to reach potential clients, tap into new networks and keep your pipeline full. Through content marketing, you can attract folks who are looking for exactly what you have to offer and convert them into new customers.
We cover what it is, why it’s important, and how to do it!
What is content marketing?
Content marketing is any marketing that involves the process of creating, curating, and distributing content to a specific targeted audience (your prospects.)
Content marketing is usually combined with other marketing techniques as part of an overall marketing plan to generate leads.
Content marketing comes in many forms. Here are the ones most relevant to the construction industry:
- Blog articles on your website
- Email marketing to current customers and prospects
- Website page content
- Facebook and LinkedIn posts, Twitter tweets and Instagram images
- Houzz projects with photos and descriptions
- Videos created around your expertise
- Helpful guides and checklists
How content marketing works
Content marketing works much differently than traditional marketing. The focus isn’t on selling your products and services, it’s based on your customers’ needs.
It can take various forms like providing a useful resource for example, but the bottom line is that content marketing works because it is not self-promoting.
If you base your content on being “salesy”, you will not attract too many prospects. If you keep your content helpful, inspirational, and timely your potential customers will be attracted to your content and continue to keep you as a resource.
Here are some examples of good construction industry topics:
- 5 Easy Ways to Improve Your Home’s Energy Efficiency (helpful resource)
- Case Study: New Foyer Keeps Family’s Entrance Clutter-Free (inspirational article with ideas and photos)
- How to Determine Hail Damage from Recent Storm (timely advice shared by email, social and blog )
Construction industry content can include:
- Photos – Before & after photos are very effective. Make sure to include a project description, location, etc. With social media and networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, and Houzz growing in popularity, not having photos to display can be a deal breaker for new clients.
- Helpful guides – Content that helps educate your prospects and assists them in their decision-making process is a win. Blog posts and eBooks are great ways to share this type of educational content while showcasing your expertise at the same time.
- Case Studies – Case studies or featured projects are a great way to tell a story about your projects. Doing this lets your prospects see how you approach projects and the results you provide for your clients. Include a client testimonial too!
- Videos – A surefire way to stay ahead of your competition. Educational, how-to, and FAQ videos are simple to do and provide value. Don’t discount a little humor – it can go a long way, and make sure you keep them easy to understand.
Not convinced content marketing will work? Keep reading!
Use the principles of content marketing as the cornerstone of your marketing strategy to achieve positive results in these ways:
1. Build your brand awareness
A good content marketing strategy, with quality content, helps you gain exposure by allowing you to introduce your company and its solutions. Having a blog on your website is a great way to raise brand awareness.
2. Establish your expertise
Publishing blogs, news or articles that relate to your products and services your readers will see that your company is a credible expert. By making your business an industry thought leader, you give prospects a reason to hire you, and past customers a reason to hire you again.
3. Increase your leads
Building strong relationships with potential customers is a key factor of lead generation. Content marketing will help you attract potential customers and build relationships. The more your audience perceives your content as valuable and informative, the better they feel about engaging with your business.
4. Engage with your prospects
Create content that focuses on your prospects’ interests as well as their pain points. Look at their problem from their point of view and then write in a way your prospects will understand. How you solve a problem they have puts you in a great position to land that job.
5. Increase your sales
ROI is a big priority for every construction industry business. Digital marketing can help your business reach and capture online leads, which is why having a content marketing strategy in place is so important. Keep your sales team aware of your content marketing so they are part of the process in landing that next big job.
With a great ongoing content marketing strategy, you can efficiently grow your construction business.
Content marketing is a long-term process. Posting consistently will help you build up a large amount of quality content that will continue to bring traffic to your site for years to come.
Your content will drive prospects to consider you a valuable resource of information, which increases your credibility with them.
Content marketing works to engage with prospects and grow your business!
If you aren’t currently integrating content into your overall marketing strategy, now’s the time. If you need help, contact us for construction industry marketing content advice!